October 11, 2019
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Talk About Trustees
An Open-Sharing Discussion about Library Boards of Trustees
Friday, October 11, 2019, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Charlevoix Public Library
220 Clinton St.
Charlevoix, MI 49720
9:30 a.m. – Welcome from Jill Stodt, President, Friends of Michigan Libraries
- Linda Adams, Director, Charlevoix Public Library
- Clare Membiela, Library Law Consultant, Library of Michigan
9:40 a.m. – Key Roles of Library Trustees & The Trustee Manual
- Clare Membiela
10:00 a.m. – Table Talk I
- Have your Trustees worked with the Director to develop a long-range plan or a strategic plan for the growth and development of the library?
- Do your Trustees actively engage as advocates for your library and encourage members to contact their legislators regarding legislation that might impact your library? Are the Friends involved in advocacy?
- What issues are challenging for your library board of trustees?
- How does your library board provide clear and up-to-date information to the community about the library’s budget, services, long-range goals, etc.?
- Has your library board undertaken a millage or bond issue campaign for the improvement of library services?
10:45 a.m. – Break
11:00 a.m. – Table Talk II
11:45 a.m. – Summation of Table Talk Topics/Issues and Q & A Time
12:15 p.m. – Evaluation
12:30 p.m. – Adjournment
Light refreshments will be available throughout the session courtesy of our host, Friends of the Charlevoix Public Library